Monday 20 January 2014

RPHC 4003: Body and Object Project












                                                        Body Project

For my Body Project I had to reflect my work in two parts, two distinctive shoots within the medway area local persons, one project will be envivromental shooting in colour and the other will be in a photographic studio shoot in black and white, both of them are using an medium format camera
I choosed to photograph peoples who are related with art work, involved in visuals, as like photography  or painting, so i choosed to approach in local art centre, Nucleus arts centre different artist and have an small chat like an interview.
I had got an deal with an artist who has his painting studio on the first floor of the art centre, called Peter Reeds, http://www.peterreedsartist.com/, and tried to find out his opinion in regarding the artists life in local medways.
He has got some strong belives that every day should start with a nice cup of coffee and should finnish with a coup of tea, he is passionated with the classic music and jazz, and in the spare time he likes to travel, specially Ireland and Scotland, and sea side where he has a lot of inspiration.
He told me that for him the worst thing to do in painting it is an portrait, that in this moment his creativity and art skills are getting limited by the fact that he must reproduce in reality the characteristics of his model, and this is why i tried to represent him not straight looking, but on a side, slightly reflecting to his work.









     I tryed to take inspiration from some artists images like Salvador Dali portrait from 1954, 
Constantin Brancusi, a romanian scluptor, student of famous scluptor Rodin, Albert Duhrer self portrait, or the Van Gogh, famous pictures and paintings of artists represented different in time.




                                       





    For my studio portrait i choose to shot an local artist, teacher in Ucreative, John Sullivan.
The ideea behind this shoot was to reflect the fact that he is working in his studio a lot with the technical part, image manipulation, image corrections, so i choosed to recreate in studio an envivroment who willdescribe his studio.
I used an reflector, and an projector as my main light, and an soft modelling light as an filling light from behind left side, on the slowest power. 
I used an low aperture the 2.8 and an slow shutter speed 1/10 on an 400 iso, in order to compensate the lack of light on the projector.
My model tryed to be really funny and i get involved in his attitude, even though for me more i like to get an natural pose, to reflect him working in a envivroment for long hours exposing his eyes health for someone else's enjoying his art work.
But i thought if he takes it in a funny manner than i should represent him funny, as obvious he likes to have an funny mood, and it s enjoying his work.










                            Object Project

For my object project i was reflecting to some ideeas of growing population and planet wickness.
I tryed to to recreate some form of planet inspired by the chiarroscuro workshop, the dramatic lightning and the vegetables used was an starting point. I tryed to use some different forms to represent including an dissection in a cabbage, the ideea witch i finally choosed to use it.
On a day searching in an local charity shop i come across this image of planet dissection, an old representation of planet, witch i choosed to buy it in order to use it on my final image.
I photographed in a studio using lights as a reflected light from slight above in left hand side, and a light hard like the one used in the chiarroscuro workshop from right hand side, slightly not so big in power, just to create a little intrigue.
I find difficult to use the large format camera, as in the first instance i tryed to photograph  from above but the weight was getting my camera and lens in a different position so i choosed to use some fishing wire from the uni shop and a couple of C stands in order to keep it lifted, and photographing towards a black background, having a 3 f stops difference for to get an image separation and contrast.




                     Critical Appraisal

In terms of my critical appraisal i was trying to do some improvements and get some better final prints that in my last project, the envivroment, as this ones was not so good colour corrected and focussed.
I realise that i need to interact more with my subjects, this is a thing that i need to work on my fears and personality, and getting confident, in order to get more stories and interesting details.
For my personal impressing, i was had in my object shooting a lot of help from Collin, even though i thought it s a thought guy, who is not so willing to help, he actually helped me with explanations, ideas, and technical details, and support me really much, and now on, i will gonna ask him more questions, and learn to wait for his answer.
The worst things i done, for me in this project was the time mangement, i need to learn to roganise myself and my first priorities things, and to treat with more confident and serious attitude the tasks and the project.
Things that i am really bad it is digital correction, photoshop for instance, and i need to spend time and ask John more on my issues, in order to get learning.
I need to do more english exercise as i am a bit struggling to formulate my ideas in proper english.
And i need, not for last, but the most important to get to know who to make a proper research, and make it in time, as this is a thing witch i am really bad at.

No comments:

Post a Comment